Any thoughts on the album?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Any thoughts on the album?

Post  Nadine on Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:16 am

Hey guys,
I'm pretty sure some of you must have gotten the vinyl by now Smile I'm waaaay too young to do vinyl, so I'm waiting to get my copy on tuesday Wink So how is it?? Any first thoughts?
Nadine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Any thoughts on the album?

Post  yield151 on Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:27 pm

first of all you are never too young to do vinyl..... I got my 21 year old sister hooked on it!!!!!

The album is amazing.... I can not stop listening. It really feels like a 2010 Beatles album
yield151

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  levyhit on Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:43 pm

a definite beatle sound! the harmonies are solid and without much real percussion its solid...very CSN
levyhit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:08 pm

i'm 19 and have a vinyl thing happening. listened to this album a few times now and the stand outs are defiantly 30 bones, restore me and fathers son. 30 bones in particular, with a good set of headphones is really something, a beautiful song! Although I have only listened to this album through... alternative... methods for the moment, I hope to get the CD and vinyl soon. Anyone know if oct 5 is the international release date? I'll have to go check out my local store tomorrow I think Razz
Peter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nadine on Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:17 am

Yup, I think today is the official worldwide releasedate! It's available here in the Netherlands, so I think you'll be able to buy your copy today Smile

Also, I just listened to 30 bones on the livestream (thanks Mojo!), it's great! I still need to get used to the harmonic singing though...
Nadine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  levyhit on Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:23 pm

Plus they added lot more dates in Europe...
levyhit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nadine on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:20 pm

I knoww!! Ben Harper on my birthday playing a gig in my favorite venue! Awesome!!
Sorry, just a quick personal moment of happiness Wink
Nadine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Diamonds on Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:30 pm

Nadine wrote:I knoww!! Ben Harper on my birthday playing a gig in my favorite venue! Awesome!!
Sorry, just a quick personal moment of happiness Wink

What luck! Hope you have a great time!
Diamonds

View user profile http://www.phishhook.com/lists/God_Fearing_Man

Back to top Go down

Post  aski on Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:23 am

i've only listened to this new album once, but i still prefer BHIC over both R7 and FOM.

but Ben should have credit for still exploring his musical roots, and not growing static in his musical form.
aski

View user profile http://db.etree.org/imnothingman

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:31 am

One thought I had, the song fathers son... thats the sorta thing I wish ben would do more of. Bring it back to the bluesy styled stripped down, bare bones, raw sorta stuff that he does so well. Been waiting for an album I know is in him for ages. One day!
Peter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RE: New Album

Post  ronniechristian1999 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:32 am

I really like this album minus 1 track-I Don't Wanna Waste Your Time-It was a waste of time Sleep . 30 Bones-Hands down his best instrumental since #3. Restore Me is my favorite track soo far. The album had a better flow to it than The R7 cd. I still feel Ben should not have done Dressed in Black with R7 Evil or Very Mad -The IC's version far superior. I really tried too like but not even mixed with Red House could save it. I am very curious to see the setlists for the upcoming FOM shows.

Peace 2 All

RC

ronniechristian1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:03 am

Yea i'm wondering what else they're going to play, they can't possibly just stick with the 9 album tracks can they?
Peter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  levyhit on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:52 am

maybe a cover or some unreleased material like R7 has done...
levyhit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

good to know

Post  Angelah511 on Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:20 am

I joined back to the forum to learn more about ben harper. I have been out of the loop. Definately enjoyed reading peoples opinions. I totally need to get this album, I am sure I would like it. I agree I enjoy BHIC better, but admire that ben is an Entrepreneur with music.

Angelah511

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nadine on Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:09 am

Ok, I finally got the time to listen to the album thoroughly, and although I'm still getting used to the harmonic singing (still not sure if I'm ever going to like the other guy's high pitched voice...) I really like some of the songs. My number 1 is definitely 'Father's Son', the one really upbeat song on the album, I could have done with more songs like it. I also like 'Things Go Round', I feel this song is really Beatles-influenced Smile And third, 'With Whom You Belong' just gives me a nice vibe, I think it's just a cute song Smile

RC, I also think 'I Don't Wanna Waste Your Time' could have been skipped, I think it's a bit whiny... I don't know, it's just not a song I'd expect from Ben.. Such a shame!
Nadine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:56 am

Theres something about In Vain Or True that sorta irritates me, its not the music though, I really like the violinist throughout the album actually, really nice work! But something else doesn't quite work, not sure what. On the other hand I don't mind I Don't Want to Waste Your Time.

Something else I noticed when listening through this one again, the album as a whole almost seems as though its the soundtrack to a movie or something. Most of the songs don't really demand your attention they just sorta wash over you, and thematically theres a bit of a common thread going through whilst also exploring a number of different ideas. The length of the songs and the short (9 song) duration of the album also seems fitting to a soundtrack.
Peter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SOLAT319 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:51 am

I can't believe noone mentioned Restore Me...
That, Fistful of Mercy, Father's Son and Vain or True are my absolute favorites. But the rest of the album is also good. Oh and that instrumental 30 Bones is brilliant.

Wait till you guys hear these gems live. I promise you your opinion will change for the better Smile
SOLAT319

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top