Fistful of Mercy in the news

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fistful of Mercy in the news

Post  MOJO the Moderator on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:17 pm

Here are some good articles I've come across in my searching... seems they wrote and recorded their whole album on a whim, over three long days! DAMN, thats impressive!

L.A. supergroup alert: Ben Harper, Joseph Arthur and Dhani Harrison debut Fistful of Mercy on KCRW

Fistful of Mercy is a new band with an intriguing pedigree, embodied by a trio of distinctive singer-songwriters: Ben Harper, Joseph Arthur and Dhani Harrison. From the first moments of the band's debut performance Tuesday night at The Village studios in West Los Angeles, the sound could be unruly or tranquil, unveiling a modern, quirkier take on the Crosby, Stills and Nash model, colliding folk, blues, eccentric pop and gorgeous three-part vocal harmonies.

The eight-song performance for about 100 invited guests was hosted by KCRW, which is broadcasting the concert at 11:15 a.m. Thursday on “Morning Becomes Eclectic,” previewing material from the trio's new album, “As I Call You Down,” set for an Oct. 5 release on Harrison's Hot Records West label. The songs were agonized and joyous, impulsive and restrained, exploring themes that Harrison listed as “love, God . . . music, peace.”

During much of the set, the trio sat with acoustic guitars, strumming jangly steel strings, with elegant slices of violin from Jessy Greene, who also appears on the album. Harrison moved to piano for the album's title song, as he, Harper and Arthur sang in warm harmony: “When I fall inside a hole I can't crawl out of / better give up my control as I call you down.”

The group then dove into some tough, agonized blues with “Father's Son,” a song inspired by Robert Petway's ancient “Catfish Blues,” harmonizing as Harper sliced away on an acoustic Weissenborn lap-slide guitar.

In February, when Ben Harper, Joseph Arthur and Dhani Harrison arrived at the Carriage House studio in Los Angeles’ Silverlake neighborhood, they had three days booked and zero songs to record. “I thought I was going there to add some guitars or harmonies on Joseph’s album,” says Harrison, who was invited to the session by Harper, whom he befriended at a skate park in Santa Monica. “When I got to the studio, I saw Joe and asked, ‘What songs are we going to do?’ He said we hadn’t written them yet.” After three long days, the trio had recorded the nine acoustic tracks that make up As I Call You Down — and called themselves Fistful of Mercy, after the track of the same name. “I never thought we’d pull off an entire album, [I thought] maybe we’d get an EP,” says Harper, who credits Arthur as the catalyst who pushed for three songs a day. “The three of us were able to create something we never could have done on our own.”

With three acoustic guitars and three microphones, the team worked out musical arrangements, and then retreated to different corners of the studio to write. “We were each others’ lyric police,” says Arthur. ( “It was very ‘Wilbury’ style,” says Harrison, whose late father George was a member of the Travelin’ Wilburys.) Many times, Harrison threw out lyrical themes for inspiration. “Things Go ‘Round” is a throwback to John Lennon’s “Instant Karma,” imagining a world where people are immediately accountable for their actions. When Harrison called for a blues number, the trio quickly drafted “My Father’s Son.” Says Arthur: “It’s really about the three of our voices, and the harmonies. We’re basically singing together the whole time.”

With nine acoustic and vocal tracks completed, Harrison was determined to ratchet the music up to another level. He instinctively called the legendary session drummer Jim Keltner, an old family friend. “I’d never done anything that I thought was worthy of calling Jim,” says Harrison. “We had an emotional conversation on the phone, and he heard some of the stuff we’d done, and he said he’d do it.” Keltner overdubbed percussion, Arthur added bass, and Harper (who calls Keltner the “Dalai Lama of the drums”) added some slide guitar. “These guys are so talented,” says Harrison of his bandmates, who will all hit the road together in October. “I can’t believe I get to call them my musical brothers.”

MOJO the Moderator
Admin

View user profile http://bhra.forumandco.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fistful of Mercy in the news

Post  SOLAT319 on Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:50 am

I heard German shows got cancelled. Do you guys know why?
SOLAT319

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nadine on Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:53 am

Yup, see my post about the European Tour. It's "Personal commitments"...
Nadine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SOLAT319 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:57 am

I was just curious if you have been noticing any boots of FoM out there. Would love to get my hands on them if there are some.
SOLAT319

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SOLAT319 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:39 pm

SOLAT319

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nadine on Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:52 pm

Nadine does like this! Smile
Such a great concert - hope Ben will return this year with R7!
I'll be there..!
Nadine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hecno on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:07 am

Dime has boots of a few of the US shows.. Still waiting for the Somerville Ma show to surface. It was awesome!.. alot of fun moments; Like the crowd trying to get Ben to go "Rogue" and get him to sing Burn one down instead of Please please me...

Hecno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SOLAT319 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:38 am

Hecno wrote:Dime has boots of a few of the US shows.. Still waiting for the Somerville Ma show to surface. It was awesome!.. alot of fun moments; Like the crowd trying to get Ben to go "Rogue" and get him to sing Burn one down instead of Please please me...

LOL! This is awesome! yeah, we did the same thing in San Francisco, LA and Philly. In San Francisco and Philly in particular. At the San Fran gig, someone yelled "Are we gonna burn one down???" Then everyone started laughing including Ben. But they ended up doing Please Please Me. Then in LA, I met him after the Saturday show and asked him "You planning to burn one down tomorrow?" LOL! He said he actually could coz you know it was Sunday ;P But again, it didn't happen. By the time I got to Philly, he spotted me already (since I was front row for 4 shows by then) and we exchanged smiles. And sure enough, I yelled and asked if "we were gonna burn one down" But no they would just go into Please Please me Very Happy So, I tried my best but it just didn't happen. I'll keep trying this Summer when they go on tour (R7) Very Happy
SOLAT319

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top