Q+A with Ben, with some really good A's!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Q+A with Ben, with some really good A's!

Post  MOJO the Moderator on Wed May 19, 2010 5:56 pm

I just read an interview that Ben did last month as part of the Campus Consciousness Tour. Most of you have probably read it, since it appears on the official website, but I really dig a few of the answers Ben gave so I thought I would re-post it here. The statements that I'm referring to are in bold.

Q: How did you get involved in the last episode of “Late Night with Conan O’Brien?”

Ben Harper: I was invited by Conan, and what a great honor it was to be a part of that and to have been invited to be a part of that. I was blown away by that last show, I thought what Conan said was crucial about fighting off cynicism. I’m Conan’s biggest fan, he’s just a great person and I can’t wait to see what he does next.

Q: What did you initially hope, and even now, what do you hope to accomplish with your music?

BH: I’ve always set out to make the music I want to make with no compromises, and thanks to the fans out there and Virgin Records, I’ve been allowed and able to do that completely unhindered, and I’m super excited about how that’s reflected in the world. I’m proud and excited to be playing in front of the people I am, it’s a great group of non-conformists.

Q: You’ve obviously sold out arenas around the world, but you keep coming back to smaller venues like House of Blues. What brings you back to those smaller places?

BH: At times I have sold out arenas, and at other times I have struggled to sell 100 tickets. I’m still all over the map, and I’m proud of it. It keeps me humble, for one, and it keeps me working hard. I like staying hungry and keeping urgent at all times.

Q: In the reviews I’ve heard and looking at the title of the record, it seems like your music is getting angrier. Where is this anger coming from?

BH: It kind of comes from keeping my eyes open … If you really lift your head up and you’re committed to doing good in one place, you feel a problem. And whether it’s a campus consciousness tour or… your life, we get 24 hours a day. Eight we’re sleeping, eight we’re doing something we probably don’t want to, so you get eight hours every day to do something you want with and… I’m not sure I’m a fan of that equation. So there’s a lot to fight for out there, a lot to be angry about and a lot to celebrate and be optimistic about too.

Q: After so many years playing with the Innocent Criminals, what led you to put together the Relentless7?

BH: I just knew I wanted to revisit the chemistry that we had explored on “Both Sides of the Gun” on the song “Serve Your Soul.” That was in 2005. In between that time, I made another record with the Innocent Criminals, “Lifeline.” After “Lifeline,” there was a sort of stopping point in the tour the Innocent Criminals were on, I took a break and I said I’ve got to get into a studio with those four guys. We were just going in to see if the chemistry… was all that we thought it could be and two weeks, three weeks later, we had collected 14, 15 songs. And we felt strong enough about the material that we had collected… to not only put it out, but it had to have its own name and its own band to represent it.

Q: You’re known for your great live performances. For you, what do you consider a great night on stage?

BH: A great night on stage is when you can walk off stage and have no questions, you just know that you did what you came to do. You know what, I’ll tell you even further. A great night is when you walk off and even the questions you have end up being risks that you wouldn’t have taken anywhere else.

Closing:

The song on the next record, the song with Ringo [Starr], it’s nine a and a half minutes, and certain people are like ‘cut it down, you might want to cut it down, it might become a single if you cut it down and blah blah blah.’ I just wanted to let you know, I’m keeping the whole thing. There will be a nine and a half minute song on the record because I think it’s the shit and I’m proud of it.

You can find the article in it's entirety here.
MOJO the Moderator
Admin

View user profile http://bhra.forumandco.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Q+A with Ben, with some really good A's!

Post  Peter on Thu May 20, 2010 9:24 am

I like it, the new record is going to be an interesting one by the sounds of it. How longs the wait now?
Peter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MOJO the Moderator on Thu May 20, 2010 12:53 pm

We just have to get through a beautiful summer! haha... Give Till It's Gone comes out this fall.
MOJO the Moderator
Admin

View user profile http://bhra.forumandco.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Thu May 20, 2010 8:54 pm

So I have to get through a harsh winter then I guess
Peter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top