Classic Poll

Go down

What is your favourite Ben Harper studio album?

0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
20% 20% 
[ 3 ]
27% 27% 
[ 4 ]
20% 20% 
[ 3 ]
13% 13% 
[ 2 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
20% 20% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 15

Classic Poll

Post  MOJO the Moderator on Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:40 am

Let's start with a classic Ben Harper poll.
MOJO the Moderator
Admin

View user profile http://bhra.forumandco.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Classic Poll

Post  MOJO the Moderator on Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:17 pm

Burn to Shine is now tied with Fight For Your Mind.... interesting.... and zero votes for Both Sides is a little surprising... but then again, there are only 8 votes.
MOJO the Moderator
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SOLAT319 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:49 am

I am not sure if categorizing White Lies into his past discography is fair. This is a brand new band and it's an entirely different sound. But I still voted Very Happy
SOLAT319

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MCTolen on Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:35 pm

Favorite album...I swear that question gets harder all the time and the answer is likely to change with the weather. I'm the one who actually voted for Diamonds on the Inside. I know Diamonds gets plenty of flack from longtime fans for being too "poppy" sounding in some ways and sure, that's true to some extent. I'll admit a few of the tunes haven't aged as well as on other albums and the two "Graceland" sounding tunes I was never wild about to begin with. However, when I heard "Diamonds" Ben Harper as an artist went from being a slow burning but deep interest on a case by case (or album by album) basis, to the top of the heap of favorite artists and has been there ever since. I really see Diamonds as the culmination of the early Ben Harper eclecticism. I definitely think "Fight for Your Mind" really blew open the doors on Ben's style and is the "better" album. However, this forum asks for "Favorite" album, not "best" album and those are two different things to me. Diamonds builds upon all Ben's styles previously touched on but takes them to a new level. Ben's vocals had grown stronger with more soul by leaps and bounds with his inner Otis Redding starting to really come out, the melodies are stronger and the songwriting is still top notch. Where previous albums seemed a bit too subdued, like he was still trying to figure out how to capture his live energy on an album, I think he really taps into that on Diamonds. It's more accessible but far from being "pop", "overproduced" or a sellout, but instead a big step in his evolution. Ben has grown and I feel I've grown with him. Sure, there are lots of songs on the first four albums that I developed a very deep personal bond with at that time in my life. But now, I'm older, self confident, happily married and connect more with Ben's positive life affirming songwriting, vibe and convictions to society and family. Also, Diamonds passes the ultimate test in my book: Is it fun to listen to in the car while driving around on a beautiful day with the windows down? Hell yes! And that's why its my favorite.

MCTolen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MCTolen on Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:54 pm

I want to reply to Solat319's post about wondering if it was unfair to compare White Lies to earlier albums. I definitely think its appropriate to compare it to earlier albums. He maybe playing with a different group of guys, but I think we'd be kidding ourselves to think that Ben's not the one who is still and always has been running the show. White Lies is simply indicative of where Ben is today and R7 is the conduit that helps him get there. Either way its all 100% Ben Harper in my opinion.

MCTolen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alien Amigo on Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:28 pm

MCTolen wrote:I want to reply to Solat319's post about wondering if it was unfair to compare White Lies to earlier albums. I definitely think its appropriate to compare it to earlier albums. He maybe playing with a different group of guys, but I think we'd be kidding ourselves to think that Ben's not the one who is still and always has been running the show. White Lies is simply indicative of where Ben is today and R7 is the conduit that helps him get there. Either way its all 100% Ben Harper in my opinion.
I totally agree with you MCTolen.
Alien Amigo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SOLAT319 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:02 pm

I checked my post and I was right. Did not mention anything regarding whether or not Ben running the show. But I guess this is personal opinion and I have no desire to get you to change your mind. I still think it's really not fair to put White Lies in the same basket as the others though Smile
I do however would like to add that I was so happy to watch him do the solo set before R7's main set last Friday in Athens.
SOLAT319

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  emanon on Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:03 pm

I think a large part of the confusion here is the inclusion of the word "classic" in the poll subject. It's difficult to think of an album that's been out for less than a year included on a "classic" list.

So I guess it depends on how you're interpreting this whole thing...as a classic poll, or a poll of classic albums. Wink

emanon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Diamonds on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:16 pm

It amazes me how hard it is to pick out my favorite Ben Harper album. To me, they're so diverse and on a level of their own.

If this was any other artist I could probably pick a favorite album in seconds. Pearl Jam may be the only exception.
Diamonds

View user profile http://www.phishhook.com/lists/God_Fearing_Man

Back to top Go down

Post  SOLAT319 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:45 pm

Diamonds wrote:It amazes me how hard it is to pick out my favorite Ben Harper album. To me, they're so diverse and on a level of their own.

If this was any other artist I could probably pick a favorite album in seconds. Pearl Jam may be the only exception.

Nice to see a fellow Jammer Very Happy
SOLAT319

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  emanon on Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:48 pm

SOLAT319 wrote:Nice to see a fellow Jammer Very Happy

meh.

Laughing

emanon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MOJO the Moderator on Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:14 pm

Just to clarify, when I titled this a "classic poll", I meant that asking/debating this was a classic thing for us to do, because we've been doing it for years on the old forums... It had nothing to do with any albums being considered "classic"... Personally, I don't think any of Ben's albums are "classics" yet.... and he's my all-time favourite musician.

And I think you definitely have to include White Lies.... the poll asked what your favourite studio album is, so I listed all of the studio albums. That's how it works. To omit White Lies wouldn't be any different than omitting WTTCW because it was his first album, or BSOTG because it was a double album, or Lifeline because it was recorded in analog (and with a different IC lineup than previous albums). There are no asterisks and there are no right answers... it's purely personal opinion... which studio album is YOUR favourite. I just thought it would be interesting to see if there was an overwhelming favourite from over the years.

Cheers Smile
MOJO the Moderator
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ntornow on Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:51 pm

Very difficult, but if I base it simply on my ability to listen to the entire album, start to finish, over and over, White Lies wins. Maybe just because its new, but it is a great album. I got tired of Lifeline and Both Sides, but not tired of this one.

ntornow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down