Music You're Currently Diggin'

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Music You're Currently Diggin'

Post  MCTolen on Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:25 pm

I thought it would be cool to share other music we're into at the moment and help us discover some new artists or other music we have in common. Right now I'm listening to and really diggin' the following:

Xavier Rudd - Koonyum Sun: I've been a Rudd fan for a long time and have seen him live several times and really love his new album. I had mixed feelings about his last album "Dark Shades of Blue" which was a lot darker and harder rockin by Xavier Rudd standards. However, the new one reflects an amazing amount of warmth and opitimism that Rudd is best at. He's playing with two guys from Africa on bass and drums who are top notch. It has a great mix of folk, rock with african rhythms and harmonies and a strong reggae vibe as well. Great summer tunes that also have great depth and emotion to them. Highly recommend it.

Mishka - Talk About: Mishka is a very chilled out island style folk/reggae singer who grew up on a boat sailing around the caribbean and the rest of the world. I've been checkin' him out for a while but the new album has really raised him in my ranks. Where before he was really good but almost too chilled out, the new album throws in a good dose of more upbeat reggae, folk and pop style songs that go perfectly with a cold beer on a summer patio. Great messages, great vibe! I'm anxious to see him at Wakarusa in June.

John Butler Trio - April Uprising: In some ways I'm disappointed in this album. There last album "Grand National" was flawless IMO and a huge favorite. April Uprising, unfortunately looses a lot of the earthy vibe and great jams in favor of far more poppier songs and more of a modern rock sound. About half of it works really well with combining the new spin on the typical JBT sound. But a good deal of it sounds too calculated, dumbed down and prepped for mass consumption. I'd still recommend it, especially for Ben Harper fans who haven't heard John Butler Trio, but definitely dig into the older stuff. I think Ben Harper has always had amazing intstincts by walking a difficult line by making music with commercial potential but staying true to himself and his musical style. Here, I think John Butler Trio tries to do the same, but unfortunately loses the balance a bit.

I'd be happy to hear what you think or what any of you are listening to now

MCTolen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Music You're Currently Diggin'

Post  MOJO the Moderator on Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:25 pm

Thanks for sharing, MC.

I've listened to Rudd off and on... but more in passing, than really deeply exploring his stuff. But your recap of this new album sounds great and I'll definitely check it out.

I also like the description for Mishka and will be checking him out too.

I agree, Grand National is a great record and April Uprising doesn't match it.

My input:

Years ago, Ben Harper mentioned on his website that he was listening to "Easy Tiger" by Ryan Adams and specifically mentioned the song "I Taught Myself How To Grow Old." I truly love that album, and I'd also suggest listening to Ryan Adams and The Cardinals latest effort, "Cardinology." Although it's from 2008, it's an album that truly represents The Cardinals as a band (lyrics, sound/style, twang, inclusion of backup vocals) and isn't as unlistenable as his latest experiments (Q: Why do some musicians think you have to do something weird and experimental to get street cred? And the people that don't like it, "just don't get it, man" and those that do are so much smarter?) I don't think theres a song on Cardinology I don't like... and favourites are "Born in to a Light," "Natural Ghost," "Stop," and "Go Easy."

Joel Plaskett - Ashtray Rock.... elements of rock, fusion, acoustic, rockabilly, and even a synthesizer or two... complete with a really smooth voice (especially when falsetto), lyrics that are sometimes poetic, sometimes irreverent and comical.

Lupe Fiasco - The Cool... incredible lyrics and flow... my favourite hip hop artist... this is a concept album that starts off with a poem that sets the stage for the rest of the record. I can't put into words how clever he is with his lyrics and how he strings rhymes together. A couple of my favourite tunes are "Little Weapon" which is mostly about child soldiers in Africa, but also touches on school massacres and bullying. "Intruder Alert," which deals with 3 different stories (rape by someone you trust, drugs and immigration), "Go Go Gadget Flow," (this one is on my running playlist) and "Superstar." Can't wait for the upcoming Lupe album "Lasers."

MOJO the Moderator
MOJO the Moderator
Admin

View user profile http://bhra.forumandco.com

Back to top Go down

listening now

Post  ronniechristian1999 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:47 pm

as of now on constant rotation

1)Valleys Of Neptune-Jimi Hendrix. This came out the same day as the R7 live set came out. I can't get enough of it. Total awesome.

2)Daptone Gold- This is what soul/r&B should be like 24/7

3) R7 Live At Montreal.

4) R7-10/25/10-THANK YOU DIAMONDS!!!!!!

5)Slash-I really hopehimand Axl just kiss and make up.- a shame.

ronniechristian1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iH8rain on Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:43 am

I am currently listening to "Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real" Brando's Paradise Sessions EP. You can tell he is greatly influenced by his dad, but other people like Stevie Ray Vaughn as well. He is a great song writer and a hell of guitar player. If you like blues, funk, rock, or jam bands you will love this guy.
iH8rain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MCTolen on Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:21 pm

Cool Respones everyone,

Mojo, I really dug Cardinology also. That and Cold Roses I think are the best of their collaboration. I was fortunate enough to catch them on their last tour. I questioned how good they would be live mostly because I thought someone would throw out the typical "Bryan Adams" requests and piss off Ryan and he'd stomp off the stage 20 min into the show! Couldn't have been more wrong. It was an AMAZING show, Ryan interacted great with the crowd, it felt very intimate with great harmonies and jams. He really represented the studio stuff well and played a lot of the folkier tunes on electric to beef them up and give them a great live feel. It was like being at an early 70's Dead show.

I've also been listening to Hendrix's "Valleys of Neptune". It really reminds you just how Hendrix was on a level not of this world! I hadn't listened to much of my Hendrix stuff since college, but have to give props to Ben Harper doing Red House on the new live album for making me want to hear some Hendrix again! I'm also impressed with the version of Stone Free on there, wouldn't have thought it could be recast and be as good or better than the original. It's still due for some more spins and has unfortunately taken a back seat to the other new stuff I mentioned that just came out and, of course, R7 Live.

I'll definitely check out the other suggestions. Thanks! Keep posting!!

MCTolen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nadine on Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:02 pm

As this topic is an ever changing one, I'll post my favorites of today Wink

I listen to The Tragically Hip a lot lately, can't stop listening to 'Long Time Running' on the Road Apples album! Also, John Mayer, preferably his live albums like Try and Where the light is.. And Pearl Jam's Ten has found its way back in my playlist lately (not that it was ever really gone though).
Nadine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MOJO the Moderator on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:26 pm

Best/favourite music of 2010

Laura Marling (oh wow!)

Mumford & Sons

Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeroes

Arcade Fire

Bon Iver

The Dead Weather
MOJO the Moderator
Admin

View user profile http://bhra.forumandco.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nadine on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:02 pm

How could I forget Mumford & sons?! Yeah, I dig them too! My mom plays their cd non-stop! Smile
Nadine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MCTolen on Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:34 pm

My Personal 10 Favorite Albums of 2010 (in no particular order)

1. Ben Harper & R7 - Live in Montreal
Fistful of Mercy - When I Call You Down
What a kick ass live album! One of the best live albums I've ever heard. It takes White Lies for Dark Times and cranks up to 11. Since it came out I've hardly listened to the studio versions. Plus I finally got a quality version of "Faster, Slower..." aka "Karma to Burn", "Under Pressure" not to mention the live DVD and some of the bonus songs made available like "Rock n' Roll is Free (if you want it)" and the Zep cover "Good Times, Bad Times". What more could you ask for?!

As for Fistful of Mercy, what better chillout album can you ask for to complement the balls-out rock album above. I'll admit, at first I was a little let down after the 1st listen. I was a bit surprised by the degree of harmonizing they did. I kept waiting to hear more of their own distinct voices, but they truly unite as one voice making it difficult at times to tell who's singing what. Then I realized that was what was really cool about it. What really opened it up to me was listening to it on CD in 5.1 Surround Sound at home (as opposed to in my car on the iPod)...AMAZING! I could really start to hear how each voice was coming together and how beautiful and simple each song was. Hands down, my favorite song is "Father's Son" which along with "30 Bones" seem to be the two songs that most clearly have Ben's fingerprints all over them. It really is a great set of songs and I'd love to hear do something again (maybe after the next R7 album and something with the IC's)

2. Kings of Leon - Come Around Sundown
I know, some people like their older stuff and call the new stuff crap. Others only know and like the new stuff. All I can say is despite several attempts I could never really get into them before. For some reason this one clicked with me and now I like all their stuff - old and new.

3. John Butler Trio - April Uprising
I still don't like this one nearly as much as the last album "Grand National." However, it is a really good rock album and did grow on me in a lot of respects and has several classic cuts. Hopefully the next album will reincorporate more of the eclectic earthy jams of the earlier stuff.

4. Xavier Rudd - Koonyum Sun
One of his strongest albums, full of african and reggae rhythms with soulful and positive messages.

5. Jack Johnson - To the Sea
After Sleep through the Static and the Curious George stuff, my enthusiasm for Jack had started to wain, but this album totally renewed it. My favorite is still "On and on", but I think this may be my 2nd favorite Jack Johnson album.

6. Michael Franti - Sound of Sunshine
I've been a fan of Franti's long before he blew up with "Say Hey (I love you)". Usually mainstream success would be a creative death sentence, but Franti actually wears it well. He's really come into his own as a pop songwriter while still maintaining his social consciousness. I had always thought he had great untapped pop potential. Some of his edginess may have taken a back seat, but he's earned the right to lighten up and have some fun. He's still putting out great music with great messages and that's OK in my book.

7. Ray LaMontagne & The Pariah Dogs - God Willin and the Creek Don't Rise
I think it's Ray's best since "Trouble." The melodies on this one are among his strongest. The Pariah Dogs really complement Ray sounding funky, folky and loose all at once. There's a stronger country steel guitar sound to some of the tracks which would normally be like nails on a chalkboard to me, but its actually done really well. You also still get a couple of songs stripped down to Ray and his guitar. Flawless

8. Guster - Easy Wonderful
In my opinion this is Guster's pop masterpiece, full of upbeat catchy songs using every pop music trick in the book and making it their own.

9. Black Keys - Brother
It may not be as consistantly explosive and raw as their early albums, but what it adds makes for a slow burning soulful album with some of the hiphop BlakRoc influences and pop hooks that have much deservedly taken them to a new artistic and commercial level.

10. Mishka - Talk About
Great white guy reggae that went great with cold beer on the patio this past summer

MCTolen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Foos new song

Post  SOLAT319 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi guys, I thought I'd post a video from Foos' secret gig in Santa Monica from the other night. This song is apparently about Kurt. It is awesome. I can't wait for the new album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuRd7Hcao8w
SOLAT319

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Iron & Wine

Post  MCTolen on Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:26 pm

I've really been diggin' the new Iron & Wine album "Kiss Each Other Clean." Loved the last album which took me by surprise how Sam Beam really broke through the ceiling. With this album he proves there is no ceiling. Like tasting a fine wine (pun intended) with Kiss each other clean I get hints of Zappa, jazz, electronica, and folk all grounded in great melodys and songwriting. An amazing amount of creativity and sense of anything goes. I think it will really grow and reveal itself for a long time to come.

I've also been really diggin Joy Division. I was a huge New Order fan growing up but generally steered clear of Joy Division (except Love will Tear us apart of course) just because the mythology seemed so depressing and dark. On the contrary, they had so many great singles in addition to the albums that were just awesome. They were really right at the forefront of post punk and paved the way for the likes of U2. Had lead singer Ian Curtis not killed himself I seriously think they could have been U2. Definitely check out the biopic movie "Control" about Ian Curtis and Joy Division. Absolutely fascinating.

MCTolen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Diamonds on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:37 am

I've been listening to a lot of JJ Grey & Mofro lately. Their new(er) album "Georgia Warhorse" is what got me hooked, and more recently I've been listening to their older albums. You can't go wrong with "Country Ghetto". The man has a lot of soul in his voice.

Last edited by Diamonds on Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Diamonds

View user profile http://www.phishhook.com/lists/God_Fearing_Man

Back to top Go down

Post  MCTolen on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:19 pm

Diamonds,

That's cool, I've heard some JJ Grey but need to check him out more. I hear he's great live. I missed them last year at Wakarusa, but I'll try to catch em this year.....along with Ben Harper and R7!! Can't wait!!

MCTolen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Diamonds on Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:04 pm

Yeah, I haven't caught them live yet either. JJ Grey is playing a solo/acoustic in Evanston, IL in March that I hope to check out though.
Diamonds

View user profile http://www.phishhook.com/lists/God_Fearing_Man

Back to top Go down

Post  MCTolen on Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:36 pm

Have you guys checked out G. Love's new one "Fixin' to Die?" The Avett Brothers produced it and sing and play on the album. It's straight up roots, blues and americana the whole way through with a few great covers. It took me just a couple of listens, but I really like it. I'd definitely recommend it, even if you weren't a big fan before. I guarantee if you hadn't heard G. Love before and you heard this playing in some cool bar in Memphis or a funky coffeeshop you'd be demanding to know who was playing. Makes me wish for a straight up, stripped down blues collaboration of G.Love and Ben!

MCTolen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Calcie on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:55 pm

Yeah J J Grey and Mofro have been my band of the last few months. I started with Georgia Warhorse, then bought Orange Blossoms. I love the song Lochloosa, so soulful. Found this great video of Gotta Know the other day - http://www.relix.com/video/live-at-relix/2010/08/25/jj-grey-gotta-know

Looking forward to the new North Mississippi Allstars and Brett Dennen albums.
Calcie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MCTolen on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:11 pm

Lovin' Eddie Vedder's Eukele Songs!!

MCTolen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:38 am

MCTolen wrote:Lovin' Eddie Vedder's Eukele Songs!!

Absolutely! In case you haven't seen yet, here are some demos from the album http://www.gremmie.net/demos/ukulele-songs-demos
Peter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aski on Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:44 pm

check out The National, here's Bloodbuzz Ohio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfySK7CLEEg
aski

View user profile http://db.etree.org/imnothingman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content