Live from Montreal Jazz Fest

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Live from Montreal Jazz Fest

Post  MOJO the Moderator on Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:21 am

How's everybody feeling about the live release from BHR7? I think they excel as a live band in general. I've been loving the bootlegs since they first formed so it's great having a live show with perfect quality audio. I'm listening to it more than the studio album now... extra loud.
MOJO the Moderator
Admin

View user profile http://bhra.forumandco.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Live from Montreal Jazz Fest

Post  buckley484 on Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:01 pm

i loved it, red house is obviously stunning, and oh man another lonely day is stellar as well, it looks like ben is havin an awesome time which is cool Smile cannot wait for new album

buckley484

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Fantastic live album

Post  Alien Amigo on Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:09 am

I think that the new live album is amazing. The energy reminds me of the early Led Zeppelin live stuff, which I think is as good as it gets. The songs from 'White Lies...' are even better when played live, I think. I haven't seen R7 live yet, but I really hope to get the chance sometime soon.
Enjoy life!
Alien Amigo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aski on Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:38 pm

i agree with the comments above, this band is much better live (although i haven't seen them live myself yet).

when i first heard of the album White Lies... I wasn't that pleased with Ben putting the Innocent Criminals "in jail". When it's good, why fix it? But maybe the boss needed some change after all. i mean, how long can you sing those same songs over and over, and still feel the magic?

R7 sure indeed sounds vital and fresh, and Ben looks and sounds younger too in some way.

let's hope Ben + R7 will release new material soon. then we will know for sure if this is a band that will evolve like the IC did from Fight For Your Mind up to their (now) last album Lifeline.

still, i listen more to BHIC bootlegs than the Relentless 7 material.
aski

View user profile http://db.etree.org/imnothingman

Back to top Go down

Post  bigsby on Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:56 pm

im pretty sure ben and the boys are releasing a new album in the fall..

check out this article
http://www.clashmusic.com/news/ringo-starr-for-new-ben-harper-album
bigsby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MCTolen on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:33 pm

Ben and R7 TOTALLY knocked it out of the park on the live album. As much as I loved "White Lies" there was still a slight bit of dissatisfaction only because (1) I thought some of the studio versions failed to bring the raw immediacy I had heard in some of the rough live versions before it was released and (2) I was SO BUMMED that the song initially referred to as "Karma to Burn" didn't make the cut!! Of all the rough live songs I had heard that was the one I most couldn't wait to hear on the album and it was the one that didn't make it. Well, any minor disappointments I had have been annhilated right from the beginning when "Karma to Burn" (now "faster, slower etc) kicks the live album off the way I think the studio album should have. In the back of my mind I seriously always thought that Karma to burn and the rest of the songs sequenced the way they are on the live album is exactly how they should have been on the studio album. As great as it was to finally have a proper version of that song I thought I was going to be disappointed that "Fly one time" and "Skin Thin" were only going to be on the DVD. Well, thank God, Ben took care of that by offering those songs via download when ordered from the website. Then on top of that we got the bonus song "Rock n' Roll is Free" which is KILLER!! Finally of course the covers of Red House and Under Pressure are AMAZING! Sure, I wish I had Good Times, Bad Times available on iTunes, but I don't want to have to buy the whole album again and I'm fully satisfied. Ben and the boys really turned it up to "11" on this album and IMO finally perfect that raw and immediate sound they were going for.
In response to a previous comment about not understanding why he didn't use the IC's. I felt the same way at first, but I really don't think Ben could have gotten the same sound out of the IC's. As much as I love the IC's I think they would be too seasoned of players to be able to pull it off. The guys in R7 were young and hungry players ready to step up and were extactly the energy Ben needed. I'm sure sometime in the future Ben will go in another direction that will be most suited with the IC's. But for now I'm totally lovin the R7 stuff and any doubters should be silenced by the live album. If its one thing I DIDN'T miss on this album it was "Burn one Down." Of course I love to hear that song, but anyone who still can't get past it and enjoy a Ben Harper show without it then it's your loss and don't bother coming to the R7 shows.
I just can't wait to see what Ben does next with R7...in fact I think I'll post a discussion about that....

MCTolen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top