Burn To Shine (revisited)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Burn To Shine (revisited)

Post  aski on Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:39 pm

ok, so MCTolen started a thread, revisiting Ben's earlier work.

i immediately wrote a piece about my favourite Ben Harper album, but the thread seemed to stop when the new album was released.

i don't mean to skip the Will To Live album, so if anyone's got some thoughts on that album please feel free to write a separate topic.

in the meantime, here's my favourite:

Burn To Shine is my favourite Ben Harper album, and I’ve been a fan since Welcome To The Cruel World. When I first heard this, I was immediately struck by the power of Alone, the haunting The Woman In You and probably my all time favourite Ben Harper song; Two Hands of A Prayer. This is not his best album as a whole; Fight For Your Mind has a more fluent track selection, but as a song collection, Burn To Shine is his best work to date. I feel this album completes his trilogy which started with Fight For Your Mind and The Will To Live. The live album that followed sums up these albums in a really beautiful way, as I said in the Fight For Your Mind thread; his live versions are superior to all his studio versions. When following studio albums were released, he never managed to write equally powerful and melancholy songs, apart from Touch From Your Lust, but that was written and performed live during his Burn To Shine tour, which also was his best tour in my book. The lyrics and the dark power of the three aforementioned albums really makes BHIC peak during this tour. Evil Vince’s beautiful b/w pictures complemented this tour well. The mood at these shows are unique too, you can hear the power of the guitar washing over the people, and a pin drop during the acoustic songs. The latter tour took a different turn with his reggae-influences, the tone was more upbeat and happy (which also reflected his latter work).
To me Burn To Shine is Ben Harper’s Grace or Achtung Baby. The Woman In You is to me his tribute to Jeff Buckley, as I hear clear references to Mojo Pin, both musically and how he uses his voice, especially at the climax. No doubt his best work to date.

Last edited by aski on Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:58 am; edited 3 times in total
aski

View user profile http://db.etree.org/imnothingman

Back to top Go down

Re: Burn To Shine (revisited)

Post  Peter on Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:32 pm

I defiantly agree, its always been maybe my favorite album I think although its very close. As well as the tracks you mentioned I also loved the title track, show me a little shame has always been a really cool song, in the lords arms is just a beautiful song and suzie blue is perhaps one of my favorite ever BH songs, I just love it! This album really deserves more attention then it gets.
Peter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SOLAT319 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:43 am

aski wrote:I was immediately struck by the power of Alone

his live versions are superior to all his studio versions.

The mood at these shows are unique too, you can hear the power of the guitar washing over the people, and a pin drop during the acoustic songs.

Completely AGREED!
SOLAT319

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Burn To Shine-Slight Return

Post  ronniechristian1999 on Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:24 am

Hands down my favorite Ben cd. Agree with Everything said.

RC

ronniechristian1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top