Give Till It's Gone - First Visit

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Give Till It's Gone - First Visit

Post  Peter on Wed May 11, 2011 11:22 pm

It's out there guys.

Let's keep reviews in this thread. I'll be adding mine soon enough.
Peter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Give Till It's Gone - First Visit

Post  Peter on Wed May 11, 2011 11:40 pm

Here look.. i'll do a quick little preliminary review.

IT FUCKING RULES!!!
Peter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aski on Fri May 13, 2011 5:12 pm

it starts out great, with songs many of us already knew from the live bootlegs, but i feel it turns different with the Ringo Starr songs, and then it turns more Relentless 7-ish (blues rock), and looses some of its momentum. i can't figure out if i like the last song or not.
aski

View user profile http://db.etree.org/imnothingman

Back to top Go down

Post  Hecno on Sat May 14, 2011 12:58 am

I agree it starts off great.. I veer off at feel love (I don't think that song'll ever grow on me) and clearly severely Spilling faith is growing on me, and it closes real strong starting with "pray.....".. a very good album.. waiting for the autographed copy to be here soon

Hecno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alien Amigo on Sat May 14, 2011 2:23 pm

I got my autographed copy three days ago, on Wednesday, and I really like what I hear.
Alien Amigo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Sat May 14, 2011 11:44 pm

Hopefully it shouldn't be too long until the rest of our packages start arriving Smile
Peter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hecno on Sun May 15, 2011 12:48 am

got mine today.. psyched .. still not into "feel love" though .... lol!

Hecno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

initial thoughts

Post  LittleWing on Mon May 16, 2011 9:31 pm

Im so glad that there is a place for us to post again. I used to post on the old forum once in a while. Anyway, after a weekend of playing the new album on repeat, it is starting to grow on me. Overall, I feel like there is some serious heartbreak and frustration being let out throughout.

I really like Don't Give Up On Me Now because it has kind of a different musical style. I almost want to say a 1950s rock sound? Not sure.

Clearly Severely strikes me as more pissed off rock like Less and So High So Low from past albums.

Pray that Our Love Sees the Dawn has a maturity to it. Maybe it was Jackson Browne's influence. Either way, its one of my favorite tracks so far.

Dirty Little Lover took me by surprise because I first heard it on a live bootleg and I thought it might be a cover. It sounded like Hendrix maybe. But then I read the credits.

Overall, I anticipated a Ben Harper album with an eclectic range of styles based on what I had been reading in interviews and with the ICs joining him in Australia. After listening and reading the credits, I realized this is purely an R7 album with a little bit different feel to it. I got it in the mail Friday and after two listens felt disappointed. However, I have played it about 10 more times just because I cant get enough.

Anyone have thoughts on Ben's comment on this being his best album since Fight For Your Mind. Its tough to compare the two because of the variety of styles in the past. I wonder what aspect of the recording made him feel that way.

LittleWing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

1st thoughts

Post  ronniechristian1999 on Mon May 16, 2011 11:36 pm

I got this cd last Thursday. I was glad that Ben threw in an extra booklet that was autographed. That was cool. Overall, I like this cd, maybe alittle bit more than R7's 1st cd. It has better flow to it than the 1st cd. The only track I did not care for was Dirty Little Lover. I guess I was expecting too much out of a great song title. It really missed Juan's bass to make it funkier. I like the studio version Of Feel Love Better than the live versions. At some points on the cd, it started to feel like a Rolling Stones cd.-Not a bad thing. I loved how Feel Love went into Clearly Severly. It was like a slap in the head that said WAKE UP! My favorite Do It For You, Do It For Us. I can see why Ben is spent from this cd. It is a very emotional cd. It's funny how this is a Ben solo cd when the guys in R7 have writing credit to most of the songs and picture of the band is inside the cd.

Peace and still playing it afro

RC

P.S

A shout out to a friend.

ASKI, YOU FREAKING RULE BUDDY! Cool

ronniechristian1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aski on Tue May 17, 2011 12:32 pm

thanks mate! Wink
aski