JJJ Radio Interview

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

JJJ Radio Interview

Post  edz on Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:52 pm

Short interview with Ben on Triple J (Australian radio station).

http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/2011/03/few-acts-have-come-to-embody-all-that-is-good-at-the-east-coast-blues-and-roots-festival-for-both-performers-and-fans-alike.html?site=goldcoast&program=gold_coast_coast_music

With Bluesfest fast approaching, thought I'd share this bit rumor. Earlier today, both Michael Ward and Oliver Charles updated their facebook status mentioning rehearsals with Ben then a flight from LAX to Australia. Sadly, both have deleted their status updates.

If you're lucky enough to be at Bluesfest this year expect something special!!!

edz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: JJJ Radio Interview

Post  Peter on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:23 pm

God damn it! Why did I pass this one up Sad
Peter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MOJO the Moderator on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:50 pm

That is some awesome gossip.
MOJO the Moderator
Admin

View user profile http://bhra.forumandco.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MOJO the Moderator on Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:03 pm

Wow. That was a very interesting interview by Ben.

I'm a little speechless actually. He was very candid. I dunno... he just didn't seem like the old Ben. He was almost rude when he was adamant that this was a Ben Harper record and that the R7 guys were just "the musicians I chose to play on it and tour with it." He was talking really fast, and acting a little sketchy and random as if he was on drugs? Am I the only one that kinda got that weird vibe?

I feel terrible even posting this!

MOJO the Moderator
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:06 pm

I didn't have the guts to say it but yea... something was very different that's for sure. The rambling about the different audiences didn't really make any sense either, he kept jumping from one idea to the next and seemed to loose track of what he has already said.
Peter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  edz on Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:50 pm

edz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:41 am

Leon said the same thing. Now im really depressed... why didnt i get tix for this one Sad
Peter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigsby on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:40 pm

The setlist for bluesfest is up on benharper.com
=> featuring the IC's !
bigsby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MCTolen on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:34 pm

I listened to this interview a second time because some of his comments did hit me in an odd way at first. I will say I don't think he's on drugs. First, based on other interviews I've seen and heard I think generally Ben feels very awkward with interviews and many times overthinks his answers. Also, I've noticed at times he can be overly hyper like here or tired and evasive all depending on when you catch him so his manner in this interview doesn't suprise me. I definitely think the comment about R7 just being the guys he's chosen to tour with did come off a little disrespectful to the other guys. However, I think what's really going on is a bit of salesmanship for the show. I think he's trying to make it clear to those listening that its NOT going to be JUST R7. I'm guessing he caught so much flack last time around for disappointing some fans by not playing his older stuff and exclusively playing R7 songs that he wanted to make it clear that there would be older Ben Harper material to get more people out to the show.
As far as his comments about this album being a solo album, it makes more sense now...aha, its really a record contract issue!! Ben can justify it any other way he wants to, but once he said its his 10th and final album with Virgin EMI it all made sense. I'm sure under his record deal he has to do so many albums under the name "Ben Harper." It's probably been in part to make it clear under his contract that he's fullfilled his deal. Assuming he chooses to go with a different record company it will be interesting to see where he ends up...I wouldn't be surprised if he joins the Brushfire crew. I know I would, couldn't ask for a cooler group of guys to be on a label with!

MCTolen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:39 pm

I second the Brushfire comment Smile I also saw this as an opportunity to start re-crossing my fingers for some of the years of bootlegs to be released officially. You never know... new label new options! I can dream... Cool
Peter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MCTolen on Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:44 pm

Peter, no doubt, I'm still wishing for a whole bunch of his live recordings to be released similar to how Pearl Jam or Dave Matthews Band have done it. Seriously, for a guy with such a universal reputation as an awesome live performer there are ridiculously few live releases.

MCTolen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Calcie on Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:58 pm

Wow, must have been a special show. I went to Blues Fest when I was in Aus last year, I sure wish I could have been there this year. Exciting to know that Ben still really values the IC's, hopefully they will be back soon!
Calcie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:17 pm

well apparently they are back in the studio so there ya go Smile
Peter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

JJJ interview

Post  ronniechristian1999 on Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:34 pm

I firmly believe that Ben is just pissed that he has to promote this cd as a solo outing. He knows/we know it's an R7 cd. He is just bound by the record company to do it there way to finish his contract. It's going to be interesting on what Ben does after the Virgin contract is over. It would be great to see him utilize the 3 bands he is in right now. Who knows, maybe we he will finally release the concerts out of his vault to dl. I'm really happy about a new IC cd.

RC Very Happy

ronniechristian1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MOJO the Moderator on Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:00 pm

His behaviour just seemed a little off, and with the separation from Laura and a few other little things I know about I was just starting to worry that Ben was getting a little unhinged. But I totally agree with pretty much everything MC said.

Now that that's behind us.... holy shit... I went away for 4 days on a trip without internet and I feel like i missed SOOOOO MUCH! So much to talk about. I hope I'll have some time late tonight to organize some thoughts.

I'm just so incredible blown away by the solo acoustic version of Don't Give Up On me Now. I already loved the album version, but this.... this.... it just blows me away. I loved the R7 record because I really got to rock out to it, especially at live shows.... but lyrically, it didn't grab me like most of his previous work. So, in a way I feel like BEN IS BACK! I'm in love with the beauty of this song.

Very, very exciting times ahead!!!!!
MOJO the Moderator
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MOJO the Moderator on Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:01 pm

By the way.... how do we rip the audio from that DailyMotion video?!?!?!
MOJO the Moderator
Admin

Back to top Go down

JJJ interview

Post  ronniechristian1999 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:44 am

I tried a couple of ways to dl the audio to no avail. On a different note, I find it kind of odd, that he has not started to heavily promote this album. The last couple of cds, he would do heavy promotion-radio shows and tv. It's very little this time out.

In all honesty,I'm getting the itch. I find myself trying to find a dl of this new cd already Evil or Very Mad . To make it clear-I did buy a autographed copy from BH.net. Sorry guys-just can't wait. I read 2 reviews of the cd and they say it's great. Waiting sucks. Mad

RC

ronniechristian1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MCTolen on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:38 am

I thought the same thing about the lack of a wave of promotion yet. Past albums it always seemed like there were lots of interviews and acoustic performances popping up dailey and tracks being released on NPR, etc. Maybe its still coming...then again it only helps build the anticipation.
I think I've read the same couple of reviews which have been very positive. However, they seem to come from sources that are already plenty hip to Ben Harper. The unanimous highlight seems to be Spilling Faith and the long jam after it.
I'm always most curious to read the RollingStone (US) review of any Ben Harper album. Over the last couple three albums I've noticed that RollingStone seems to be covering Ben Harper more, but still seems to keep his music at arms length. It's sad because I know they're just a corporate mag that is going to opt first to cover whatever the current pop trend is. Ben Harper is just the kind of artist that RollingStone (in the US at least) needs to fully embrace and put him on their cover and say you gotta see and hear what this guy is doing and been doing for the last 15 years! Stop following trends and tap into something deeper. Unfortunately I now the RS review will be a short paragraph giving it their usual bogus safe 3 stars (maybe 3.5). I remember how they initially gave Pearl Jam's Ten 3 stars and a short review when it first came out. Oh well, what can you expect from the same magazine that bashed Led Zeppelin and keeps putting reality stars and Justin Beiber on the cover.

MCTolen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hecno on Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:05 pm

@ Mojo I was able to rip the daily motion audio, i thought it sounded good (through my computer) but the bit rate stated it was only @ 70kbs or something.. I'll check tonight where I ripped it or if I can figure out how to post the file somewhere I'll do that. Took a little bit of time from what I remember. but I agree it's a stunning rendition of the song. @ Ronnie I also am looking to download it (I have the autographed Cd coming as well), I found a couple of leads but they came up frustratingly empty..

Hecno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MOJO the Moderator on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:33 pm

awesome! looking forward to it. thanks for the effort!
MOJO the Moderator
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hecno on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:42 pm

http://www.cliptomp3.us/ I'm looking for a better site 64kbs but still sounds good

Hecno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

JJJ interview

Post  ronniechristian1999 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:13 am

Change your name from Hecno to Hecfreakingrock. Thanks bud.

RC

ronniechristian1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

JJJ interview

Post  ronniechristian1999 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:00 am

Having problems dling DGUOMN. It is cutting the track at 2mn53sec. Anyone else having this problem?

RC

ronniechristian1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MOJO the Moderator on Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:04 pm

Just listened to the whole thing on my iTunes, then on my iPod. Sorry RC.

Thanks for the hookup Hecno!!!!!
MOJO the Moderator
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hecno on Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:52 pm

No problem!... You both might want to try this site http://www.convertfiles.com/ it converted it quicker and at a higher bit rate 192 KBS.. I can't hear a difference to be honest.. maybe its not important given the fact it was a such a hogh quality vid... or I have cheap ears

Hecno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top