What do you hope or expect from the new upcoming album from Ben Harper and R7?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What do you hope or expect from the new upcoming album from Ben Harper and R7?

Post  MCTolen on Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:29 pm

So now that it has been announced the Ben and R7 will be coming out with a new album in the Fall, I'm wondering what everyone's hopes or expectations are with the new album. I for one, couldn't be more excited to see what Ben does next with R7. White Lies and Live at Montreal together blew away my expectations. I know there's been some grumblings (as there always are) about the change in lineup and sound, but I myself even as a long time fan couldn't be happier. I've come to expect the unexpected from Ben and he's never made the same album twice so I'm wondering what's in store on the next R7 album. I'm guessing that with the release of "Faster, slower, come around" and "Rock n' Roll is Free" in conjuction with the live album that we won't see them pop up on the new studio album. That leads me to think that Ben wanted to get those songs out, but knew they wouldn't fit in on the new album. It seems like they cleared all the inventory, so what's next? Is it going to rock even harder? Will it be more mellow and acoustic? Will it be a different genre or more eclectic? Ben's always said he wanted to make an album all focused on reggae...I think it would be cool if he made a reggae album with much more of a rock spin on it. Apparently there are some guests on the new album including Ringo Starr and Jackson Browne. Normally I kind of cringe when I hear about guest musicians because it usually comes off as a lame attempt to broaden your appeal. Hopefully that isn't the case and would seem to indicate a continued classic rock sound. Personally I kind of hope they continue to be cranking the amps up to "11" or higher. I really dug the punkier sound like on Shimmer and Shine and given their time touring with Pearl Jam I could see them doing some more of that which I would love to see expanded upon. I'm glad Ben has been mostly sticking with the Asher lap slide as opposed to standing, but I sure would like to hear more weissenborn cranked up. Either way, I'm WAY pumped for it and can't wait to hear more details. So, what do any of you expect or hope for??

MCTolen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you hope or expect from the new upcoming album from Ben Harper and R7?

Post  Diamonds on Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:19 pm

I'm thinking we might get something similar to White Lies.

Have you heard the other new song...."I Will Not Be Broken"? That will be on the album I'm sure as one of the lyrics is "Give Till It's Gone".

Good news for me is "I Will Not Be Broken" is one of my favorite R7 tunes so far, so I'm very excited as to what the new album entails.
Diamonds

View user profile http://www.phishhook.com/lists/God_Fearing_Man

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you hope or expect from the new upcoming album from Ben Harper and R7?

Post  emanon on Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:33 pm

Diamonds wrote:Good news for me is "I Will Not Be Broken" is one of my favorite R7 tunes so far, so I'm very excited as to what the new album entails.

Fully agree - I cannot get enough of this song!

emanon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MOJO the Moderator on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:08 pm

Let's make it unanimous... I also love that song!

I think the album will be fairly similar to White Lies in terms of sound... lots of rock and blues riff inspired music with a couple of acoustic/ballad songs. I'd like to see some harmonies on this one.... yeah, that'd be nice.
MOJO the Moderator
Admin

View user profile http://bhra.forumandco.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MCTolen on Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:51 pm

Yes, "I Will Not Be Broken" sounds pretty good, kinda in the same vein as "Word Suicide" but I'd like to hear a better quality sound version then what I've heard so far. I agree that it will probably be similar to White Lies, but if I know Ben, it's bound to have some different surprises as well. Also, given the progression seen from the early live and studio material to the new live album, I think they've really meshed and taken flight as a band. It seems like Ben is taking a similar approach to recording as he did with the IC's for Lifeline by going straight into the recording studio after a lengthy tour. If they've captured half the magic they've shown lately, we're in for a hell of an album!

MCTolen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MOJO the Moderator on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:52 am

Jason told me to keep my ears open for, "Don't Give Up On Me Now".... it's going to be on the new album, which they've finished recording. It's in the mastering process now.

The album is going to be very eclectic in terms of musical style.

Very, very exciting.

"You give and you give and you give 'til it's gone... then the people you fight hardest for say you're wrong..."

-MOJO the Moderator
MOJO the Moderator
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SOLAT319 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:33 am

So far the new songs I heard are:
I will not be broken
Rock'n Roll Is Free (not really new but it wasn't on the first one)
Thank Me In The Morning
One other mellow song they had done during their European stint. Can't remember the name of it now.

I do hope that they keep the bluesy/crunchy sound going. I am a sucker for that! Very Happy
SOLAT319

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:09 am

I will not be broken as i've said before, beautiful! Meet me in the morning sounds pretty nice, it needs a mark ford solo in the middle somewhere, I can hear it in my head.
Peter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SOLAT319 on Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:30 am

Do we know when exactly is the album coming out? I heard both September and October.
SOLAT319

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MOJO the Moderator on Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:35 am

Unfortunately, neither.

It's not coming out until the spring. Probably March.
MOJO the Moderator
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SOLAT319 on Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:26 pm

Aw man, really? Why is it taking too long? (this is not by any means to hussle them but just out of curiousity and extreme need for some new R7) cheers
SOLAT319

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SOLAT319 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:23 am

Got to talk to Jordan last Sunday in LA. He and Jesse were at FoM show. Jordan said that the new album is coming out in March. Can't wait!
SOLAT319

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nadine on Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:06 pm

After the softer, harmonic music of FoM, I am really wishing for a more blues/rock album from R7 again! I like my Ben Harper with some more power! Wink
Although I'm a sucker for the songs like 'Walk Away' as well! haha!
Nadine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SOLAT319 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:04 am

I just want to hear his sweet and powerful voice. But when he rocks out, yeah that's even better! Very Happy
SOLAT319

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top