Rock N Roll Is Free

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rock N Roll Is Free

Post  Calcie on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:28 am

Some dude on the official site posted this link -

http://www.91x.com/pages/capone_landing?New-Song-Du-Jour-Thursday-February-24th-=1&blockID=427697&feedID=4939

I remember seeing R7 playing this at Austin City Limits in 09 and wasn't blown away by it at the time. After listening, still feel the same, it doesn't really go anywhere. Still nice to hear some new BH though.
Calcie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rock N Roll Is Free

Post  Peter on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:42 am

Nice Very Happy

PS. Try right clicking on the link bellow if you would like this song in your iTunes (and don't worry, its taken from the same website)

http://www.91x.com/common/medialib/314/396640.mp3
Cool
Peter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MOJO the Moderator on Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:30 pm

Yeah, I kinda agree, Cal... when I first heard bootlegs of this tune last year I wasn't blown away (except by the awesome title that brings back images of John and Yoko's "War is Over (if you want it) billboards). Then I heard it live, and it still didn't really grab me... I don't know why it gets so much attention (so much concert play, now a radio single?)

But, there's still plenty to look forward to on the album... I Will Not Be Broken is perhaps my fave R7 song to date (top 3 for sure)... Feel Love is beautiful... Don't Give Up on Me Now is Jason Mozersky's fave... I can't wait to hear the Ringo tunes... and the names of the rest of the tracks are either intriguing or just sound really good.

Booyah!
MOJO the Moderator
Admin

View user profile http://bhra.forumandco.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MCTolen on Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:16 pm

Really?! I'm surprised you guys are so less-than-impressed. I've always really liked it since I got it as a free bonus track when I ordered Live in Montreal. I am a bit surprised to see it pop up on the new album, much less as a first single. Only because it's old news to us fans and I initially took it as more of a B-side (albeit a really good b-side IMO) that I otherwise expected would never end up on an album. I'm guessing the link above is the studio version. It sounds pretty true to the live version, but Ben's vocals sound double tracked with some extra guitar parts in the back ground giving a bit more of a psychedelic vibe to it. Like almost every R7 song, I still think the live version is better and Ben belt's it out more in the live version bringing the song to more of a climax toward the end.
It makes sense as a single (from a record exec view)- it's a solid straight forward rock song that would appeal to fans of classic rock, gen X, Pearl Jam and younger fans. I always liked the opening bass line, it has almost a Smokey Robinson soul sound to it, but then goes full on into classic rock territory. Can't wait to hear more. I've heard "I will not be broken" but the sound wasn't very good. I need to hear it again...you guys got a link you can recommend??

MCTolen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MOJO the Moderator on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:48 pm

I think "a good B-side" is exactly right.

Here you (and the group) can download "I Will Not Be Broken" from the Life is Good Festival I was at this past summer (not my recording though).

I Will Not Be Broken (Live at Life is Good Festival)

Peace!
MOJO the Moderator
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Calcie on Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:24 pm

Yeah, i totally agree that it would make a nice B-Side. It's not a patch on I Will Not Be Broken or Feel Love etc, but I guess they are not the kind of tunes that make a good radio single.
Calcie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MOJO the Moderator on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:27 pm

I just went through all the versions of "I Will Not Be Broken" that I have, and this one is my favourite...

01 I Will Not Be Broken 6:16 Ben Harper and Relentless7 Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park 25/04/10

sendspace.com x6nyx8

MOJO the Moderator
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MCTolen on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:46 pm

Thanks MOJO!!!!

MCTolen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Diamonds on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:54 pm

See now I think I like this studio cut better than I like it live. I'll have to give my recording another listen again though. I don't think it's a bad song by any means, but I would have to agree with the "B-side" comparision. I don't think it will be one of my favorites from the new album.
Diamonds

View user profile http://www.phishhook.com/lists/God_Fearing_Man

Back to top Go down

Post  SOLAT319 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:40 pm

I just saw this topic and am on my phone so I can't listen to the track. But if it is Rock'n Roll is Free we're talking about, yeah, that's not a new track. I heard that in 2009 for the first time along with I Will Not Be Broken. So I guess I was confused since folks kept referring to those songs as new.
I do like both of these tracks and I can see why Rock'n Roll is Free was chosen as the first single as it is a straight forward catchy rock song.
SOLAT319

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SOLAT319 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:41 pm

MCTolen wrote:Thanks MOJO!!!!
SOLAT319

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:43 pm

Defiantly give the studio version a listen when you get home or whatever. As someone else mentioned, psychedelic sorta comes to mind, it's not bad at all.

As a side note, i forgot there were a bunch of pearl jam fans here. Perfect excuse to brag that i'll be seeing Eddie Vedder twice while he's here in Australia Very Happy
Peter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Diamonds on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:51 pm

Peter wrote:Defiantly give the studio version a listen when you get home or whatever. As someone else mentioned, psychedelic sorta comes to mind, it's not bad at all.

As a side note, i forgot there were a bunch of pearl jam fans here. Perfect excuse to brag that i'll be seeing Eddie Vedder twice while he's here in Australia Very Happy

Yeah, yeah, whatever Very Happy

Hey Peter, you going to Bluesfest down there....R7 and FOM. Put this along with the Eddie solo shows and you make me one jealous man.
Diamonds

View user profile http://www.phishhook.com/lists/God_Fearing_Man

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:19 pm

I wish I could, theres soo many great acts but i just can't get there Sad
Peter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ronniechristian1999 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:09 am

When I first heard this track was the first single, my first thought was WTF. I did not care for the live versions of the song. I just listened to the studio version-Ok, I'm starting to like it. It grabs me like the Foo Fighters writting a new song for That 70's Show. It's a good song but a slow burn-kind of a retro 70s track.

There are some Ben songs that they are better live than studio. Case in point-Roses From My Friends,Dressed In Black"IC version". In this case the studio track is better than live. Keep listening to the studio version- it will get you.

RC

ronniechristian1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ronniechristian1999 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:10 am

Thanks for the dls Mojo!

RC

ronniechristian1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SOLAT319 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:20 am

Peter wrote:

YESSIR! Pearl Jam fan right here (I'm sure you already figured that one out just by looking at the nick Very Happy)

Oh and please don't open the wound that had bled for the last three months constantly since I won't be able to go to Australia. However, I do want to make it known that you really don't wanna get into "bragging" contest with me when it comes to seeing Pearl Jam and Eddie solo Twisted Evil

Oh and I LOVE the studio version! Then again, I always loved Rock'n Roll is Free and I Will Not Be Broken since the first time I heard them, so it's no surprise that I was going to like the studio version of RRIF. I also heard that slow song live last year when they opened for PJ. Not sure about that one though.
SOLAT319

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Probably doesn't belong in this forum but....

Post  ChrisCornell on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:05 pm

As per the "grungereport.net",

Bookie of 102.1 The Edge, one of the top radio stations in Toronto, tweeted the following a few hours ago:

New Eddie Vedder solo LP in May..more deets to come coming soon

The latest issue of Rolling Stone also has a photo of Eddie Vedder doing a photoshoot on a beach in Hawaii wearing a suit holding a ukulele, which likely means the new solo album will be the long awaited Eddie Vedder ukulele album. Kick ass news!

So apparently, new Ben, new Eddie, new White Buffalo, new Warren Haynes new Foo Fighters, and new OAR--- all in May!
ChrisCornell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SOLAT319 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:38 am

ChrisCornell wrote:As per the "grungereport.net",

Bookie of 102.1 The Edge, one of the top radio stations in Toronto, tweeted the following a few hours ago:

New Eddie Vedder solo LP in May..more deets to come coming soon

The latest issue of Rolling Stone also has a photo of Eddie Vedder doing a photoshoot on a beach in Hawaii wearing a suit holding a ukulele, which likely means the new solo album will be the long awaited Eddie Vedder ukulele album. Kick ass news!

So apparently, new Ben, new Eddie, new White Buffalo, new Warren Haynes new Foo Fighters, and new OAR--- all in May!

Apparently, you and I are following the same news Very Happy
Yeah, I heard about all that. Facebook carries a pretty sizeable chapter of the Fanboi Nation and catching up with all the Pearl Jam news is not entirely challenging Razz
SOLAT319

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:49 am

and my birthday just so happens to be in may. Looks like it's going to be quite a month!
Peter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SOLAT319 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:50 am

Peter wrote:and my birthday just so happens to be in may. Looks like it's going to be quite a month!
Very Happy
SOLAT319

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top